A downloadable game for Windows, macOS, and Linux
Stem is a relaxing game where you control a plant, collecting resources to survive in a chaotic environment.
The game is still in development (at a very slow pace, I'll admit). New features when it's done ! ;)
I hope you'll love my game ! Have fun ! ;)
More updates to come. Follow me on Twitter (@yamzho).
>>> NEW UPDATE COMING VERY SOON WITH BALANCED DIFFICULTY, UPDATED TUTORIAL, AND A PURPOSE FOR THE HUMIDITY AND THE TEMPERATURE INDICATORS ! STAY TUNED ! <<<
-- v0.2.1 -- (The one year gap update) --
* Spawning mechanics have changed. Entities (such as resources, enemies, etc...), instead of spawning around the player at a defined distance, now spawn in spawning areas which are generated when the player is about to enter it. Some of these areas have specific environment. For instance, in the desert environment, the player will lose water faster but will almost have no light issue. In arctic areas, speed will be slower. There are other environments to discover ! To help the player knowing he/she's in a specific environment, the background color will change.
* Boost mechanics have changed. The player now fill his/her boost gauge with energy (from collecting certain resources). When the gauge is full, the player can hit space to start the boost. The gauge will then start to empty and the boost will continue as long there's energy in the gauge. The player loses less resources when the boost is in use and is not affected by the freezing effect.
* Added the Garden, which is an entity spawning only in urban environment. Gardens are quite rare, but will give you a lot of resources and will refill your boost gauge, as well as a temporary protection against bugs.
* Added particles when the player is frozen, burning, electrified, when the boost is in use or the player has a protection against bugs.
* Fires and flames do now less damage, but fires will set the player on fire and flames have a 20% chance to set the player on fire. When on fire, the water level drops quickly.
* Collecting fire or flame will immediately cancel a freezing effect.
* Collecting water drop or rain drops will immediately cancel a burning effect.
* The mineral penalty for bugs has been lowered, but bugs now have a chance to chase the player when being too close (except in few cases). Chasing bugs have a different color, are smaller, and go faster when chasing.
* Bugs come eating the stem when the player has lost.
* Added a visual effect that makes the camera 'swing' around the burgeon, which makes the game feeling more 'organic'.
* The camera moves depending on the player's direction (further right when the player goes right, and further left when the player goes left). It also moves backwards when the player uses the boost to let him anticipate what will happen.
* The interface shakes when the player is hit.
* A bug where the player was going super fast when resetting after a game overcrowded with entities should have now been fixed.
* Selecting the arcade / tutorial modes is now done using the up and down arrows. Arcade mode is now the default mode.
* Wind speed is now shown in beaufort scale instead of km/h. Shown humidity and temperature are currently useless as they are being revamped for next next update.
* Added some few sounds and music tracks.
* Apparently had a lot of code cleaning to do... still.
-- v0.2.0 -- (The gigantic update) --
* Added tutorial. * Added spiderzzzzzzz !... (and spider webs and nests) * Added tornados ! Woooooosh ! * Added sounds !!! (and amazing musics from Jukedeck.com) * Added branches which will pick up resources for you ! Appears only when all your resources are at 80% or above. * The player can now be webbed, slowing him/her down. * Added weather that will have big influence on how entities spawn or react (will probably be tweaked in a near future). * Added credits on the game over screen. * Changed tubes assets (they look amazing now !). * Changed rain drop assets. * Memory usage reduced by approximately 5% ! Woohoo ! * Cleaned the source code a lot (but you don't care, do you ?).
-- v0.1.6 -- (The unexpected update) --
* Added rain clouds and rain drops. Rain clouds will drastically lower your light level, but rain drops will significantly increase your water level. * Changed snow flakes for snow clouds which drop snow flakes. * Now shows the score during the game. * Now shows the wind direction and strength. * Background color changes when the burgeon is electrified. * Using the boost (space bar) consumes 20% less resources. * Wind can now be a bit stronger than before. * Flames are now affected by wind and spread accordingly. * Changed the fertilizer/mineral icons. * The reset button has changed and is now the [enter] key. * Fixed bug with bugs that were moving insanely fast after a while. * Performance improved a little bit, again.
-- v0.1.5 -- (The tiny update) --
* Added some informations on opening screen. * Fixed bug with score screen where score was not appearing correctly when the fertilizer level was at zero.
-- v0.1.4 -- (The electric update) --
* Added Thunderstorms. * Added Electricity. * Background color changes when the burgeon is frozen. * Wind can now change in strength as well as direction. That means clouds and storms change in speed. * Performances have been improved a lot again. * Fixed bug with wind which was changing faster than expected.
-- v0.1.3 -- (The "4 months later" update) --
* Performances have been improved a lot (using entity pool). * Bonuses and maluses cannot appear on top of each other anymore. * Bugs now spin for about a second before changing direction. * Bugs now move faster. * Clouds are now slowly affected by changing winds. * Fire now spreads flames that inflicts damages. * Screen now shakes when a malus is picked up (not applied to flames). * Burgeon's speed has been rescaled. * Burgeon can boost its speed by pressing the space bar with the cost of more resources. The boost cannot be used if the burgeon is frozen. * Intro screen is a bit faster. * Final score calculation has changed.
-- v0.1.2 -- (Post compo release 2) --
* Tweaking difficulty. * Game is now automatically launched in fullscreen when supported.
-- v0.1.1 -- (Post compo release) --
* Difficulty has been balanced (making it a bit harder). * Steering is now determined by the level of water. * Maximum growth angle is now determined by the level of light. * Speed is now determined by the level of fertilizer. * The game is now in 1280*720 (up from 800*600).
-- v0.1.0 -- (Ludum Dare release) --
* Water, sunlight and fertilizer bonuses have been added.
* Fire, cloud, bugs and snow maluses have been added.
What to expect in future version ?
* More content (more entity types, more climatic events...).
* Achievements and leaderboards.
* Lighter sound support (files are way too big at the moment).
* Better visual effects.
* And probably more !
Click download now to get access to the following files:
- Stem 0.2.1 is coming out soon !Jan 04, 2018
Leave a comment
Log in with itch.io to leave a comment.